More information on how to get 500 free Clubcard points from PayQwiq

On Thursday I wrote about a new promotion being run by Tesco to persuade you to try PayQwiq.  I found it at random in my local store!

PayQwiq is a new Tesco innovation which is currently being trialled in London and Edinburgh.  It also seems to have appeared in Northern Ireland this week.

It is, basically, Apple Pay with a £400 transaction limit!  And you don’t need an Apple phone.

PayQwiq is an app which you can ONLY use for paying for shopping in Tesco.  This obviously makes it very restrictive.  The way it works is relatively simple although I am not fully convinced it is simpler than cash or credit card:

You install the PayQwiq app on your smartphone (Android or Apple)

You link your Clubcard number and one or more credit cards to PayQwiq

When in a participating Tesco store, you pay by scanning a barcode in the PayQwiq app. This automatically credits your Clubcard account with the relevant points and charges your linked credit card for the purchase.

There is no additional cost, or saving, to paying with cash or a credit card.

PayQwiq

A generous bonus for giving PayQwiq a try

A Shopper Points reader has now received an official email which announces that the promotion I discussed is up and running.

Good news! PayQwiq is growing…

We’re excited to let you know that PayQwiq is now available at 600 Tesco stores in the UK, and for the first time ever, anyone can sign up and use the app at one of our participating stores.

To celebrate the good news, we’ve decided to give you an extra 100 Clubcard points with each of the next 5 PayQwiq transactions you make from now up until the 16th October 2016.

Here is the key bit:

Remember, your friends and family can benefit from this offer too, so why not let them know?

See you at the checkouts,

The PayQwiq Team

That is as much proof as you will get that this offer is open to everyone.

The only two bits of small print you need to remember are:

• you must keep the app installed for 14 days
  • the 100 bonus points for each of your first five transactions will be added in arrears

Three days only: 50 Clubcard points for £1 with Mr Muscle sprays!
Should you convert Tesco Clubcard points into Eden Project tickets?

Comments

1. The website still states only stores in London & Edinburgh are participating. Will check out my local store in Leicester to see if it is working away from the Capitals!

2. TGLoyalty says:

Seems it is being rolled out outside of london/Edinburgh but not listed on the website, luckily ill be making trips to the capital before end of the promo so will try this out.

Also, sure it was mentioned before but there isn’t a £30 Apple Pay limit.

Apple Pay is unlimited if the machine is set up correctly if its an older or incorrect set up it defaults to the £30 contactless card limit

• Guesswho2000 says:

Re the Apple Pay limit, I was going to mention the same thing – there isn’t one, it sits with the retailer or terminal – for example, in an Apple Store, you can use it to buy a MacBook! Away from the Applesphere, my first ever Apple Pay txn was in Nandos, for about £40!

3. The self service tills in my branch in Reading were card-only this morning which may have been why they didn’t offer Paykwik or however it’s spelt.

• I actually put a misspelling on purpose into the metadata of the article (which search engines read but you don’t see) because I reckon anyone searching online for data on this will spell it wrong!

• some of the tescos in our area are card only but this also includes the ability to use payQ

4. Colin JE says:

I’ve been using PayQwik since March in Edinburgh. It was meant to carry a 500 point bonus on first use but I’m pretty sure I never got anything on my Clubcard. However, there seems to be no way to check past statements, so I can’t be sure.
    I’ve used it over half a dozen times and there doesn’t seem to be much advantage to it, other than not having to remember to carry both your Clubcard and your credit/debit card.
    I’m going to carry on trying it and see if I get any credits of points. Thanks for the tip.

5. According to a cashier just now, Tesco don’t accept PayQwik for gift cards for “security”. Hmm.

6. Is there anything preventing deleting the app after 14 days and setting it up again for further bonus? :)

7. Can I do 5 consecutive transactions in one store to gain the points ? I live just outside London this is worth making one trip but not five !

• Probably – unless you triggered some security alert in PayQwiq. Rules don’t say they have to be on separate days.

8. Worked for me today – first time at the SS check-out. Thanks Anneka for highlighting this to us.

9. Gin and Tonic Please says:

Just used PayQwiq for the first time today. I bought one banana (for my beeakfast) for 18p in my local Metro. Worked a treat. Looking forward to my 100 CC points!

10. An major issue with PayQwick. Using PayQwick pays and adds clubcard number to the transaction. However in order to use other Tesco vouchers one needs to scan the clubcard before adding the voucher!

11. Not that Frequent Flyer says:

So can’t you scan your clubcard first, as normal?

12. Paul chisholm says:

I used PayQwick at two stores in Edinburgh yesterday. One of the transactions was redeeming the Mr Muscle coupon and as stated above you have to scan your club card first then pay with the app, where as the other transaction had no coupon and you did not have to bother scanning card separately just use the app.

This morning I was in the monster Tesco in Danestone, Aberdeen. When I went to pay at scan and shop, the option to pay with PayQwick was available (to my surprise), I tried to pay with app but nothing happened. I asked the assistant and he laughed and said that it did not work and then told me “we don’t even have contactless”

13. Do you have to receive the promotional email to get the bonus points?

I downloaded the app and signed up a while ago but haven’t received any literature from PayQwiq about the extra clubcard points. Luckily there’s a Tesco near where I live that accepts the payment but don’t really want to go out of my way if I’m not going to get the extra points.